So, 53 in a year. Here’s how it broke down:
- The Kindle vs. Paper Smackdown
I read 24 on paper, leaving 29 to be consumed on Kindle and/or iPad. I admit I’m surprised by this, though only a little.
- The fiction/nonfiction/sci-fi & fantasy split
It was surprisingly even! 19 were fiction. 16 were nonfiction. 18 were science fiction/fantasy of some time. (Yes, the line between the first and last category is arbitrary and capricious. Deal with it.)
- Hey Chief Heathen! What’s the best nonfiction book you read last year?
- Hey Chief Heathen! I wanna read the best literary fiction you read last year!
Great idea! It’s Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead by a mile.
- Hey Chief Heathen! I’m a nerd like you! Hook me up with some great sci fi or fantasy!
You can’t go wrong with The Gone-Away World; also, pick up on Joe Hill. Horns is out in paperback, and will be a movie soon with Daniel Radcliffe and Juno Temple. There’s still time for you to get in ahead of the curve!
- Hey Chief Heathen! What book, regardless of other praise, shoud I avoid like the goddamn plague?
The fucking mess that is Gone Girl. As I said in April, it’s a dumb person’s idea about what smart person’s mystery might be.
That’s a wrap. We start over tomorrow.